A Tete-a-tete with Farshad Abbaszadeh CEO Doner Kebab
What is Doner Kebab franchise all about?
Doner Kebab is a dynamic kebab fast food retailer that maintains a totally classic healthy approach to traditional kebabs. Doner Kebab opened its first store in Berlin in 1988 and over the last decade perfected its policies and procedures, to maintain quality and consistency our unique blend of traditional spices and exclusive products, and improving our innovative cooking processes.
Our kebabs are made from quality ingredients. We use 100% veal, lamb and pure chicken fillets (100% Halal) imported from Germany’s number one Doner Kebab production company “Kaplan Doner”. We use fresh locally produced vegetables that are prepared daily and special “Doner Kebab” bread.
We are fairly different to the way other operators make their kebabs. The result is a nutritionally sound gourmet food experience that contains virtually no preservatives and can be consumed day and night. With a strong modern brand and the promotion of healthy fresh nutritious ingredients that appeals to a broad market, “Doner Kebab” can only continue to grow and succeed
What is the your Franchise Concept all about?
The Doner Kebab franchise is a locally owned fast food outlet and is positioned as an international franchise through our creative approach to the company's image and detail presentation. The Doner Kebab franchise provides a combination of excellent food at value pricing, with fun packaging and atmosphere. Doner Kebab is the answer to an increasing demand for healthy fast food.
In today's highly competitive environment, it is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate one fast food outlet from another. Dubai is now becoming the model metropolis for Middle East's new economic boom.
Who are your competitors and what differentiates your franchise concept from theirs?
Currently, we do not have any competitors in Middle East as well as rest of the world.
How many franchisees are currently part of the system, do you charge a franchise fee / Royalty? What is the investment required?
We are just about to launch our franchise. We are setting up our first unit at Jumeirah Lake Towers. We are also in negotiating with several groups in different places of the world to become partners to expand the Doner Kebab franchise model. We charge US $ 25,000 franchise fee and 6% Royalty monthly from Gross sales. The total investment required depends to the location – different places different costs. Here in UAE the estimated start up investment is USD 150,000 per shop.
How much time, typically, would the franchisee spend on running the Franchise Business?
The franchisee needs to have either an operation manager in charge for daily business so he needs only 1-2 hours the day for controlling and responding to emails or if he wants to manage the place himself he needs to invest 6-8 hours the day.
Who is the target market for your products?
It depends on the income of the target group and location as our Doner Kebab selling price is AED 24 for a sandwich which allows all age groups to eat Doner Kebab – we also do deliveries and take away!
What profile of franchisees are the best fit for your franchise business?
Anybody who is interested to be part of the most fastest growing F&B franchise business with over 2 decades success story in Germany. You need to have the minimum investment of 100.000 US % for each shop depends to country it can change.
Which parts of India / International are you considering for your franchise expansion for 2012?
We are interested to enter ALL parts of the World as we are ready and have the existing infrastructure.
Do you assist a franchisee to avail of bank loans / funding?
No, we currently dont provide such assistance.
Is a Franchisee required to manage the daily operations of the business or will he be able to empower his employeees to manage the business?
No, his employees will be able to manage the daily business!
During what times, do the franchisees generate the highest amount of sales?
The best time for franchisee to generate the highest amount is lunch and dinner time.
Can a franchisee continue to increase his earnings, without purchasing another store?
Depends on location and to keep the quality of our brand!
What are the next milestones that are keeping you and your team motivated?
Our target is to have at least one Doner Kebab shop in each country of the World.
What territories are available, or if non-geographic territory system exists, what is the market available to you?
Asia, Africa, America and part of Europe!
What initial training is provided and how is it structured?
1. The rights to use Doner Kebab brand name and trademark for the term of the franchise agreement.
2. License of business concept know-how through initial and on-going training and provision of
material, operating manual, software and business literature.
3. 2 weeks initial training at the Doner Kebab Head Office and Company-owned stores for up
to 3 Individuals of the franchisee staff. Travel, accommodation and subsistence to be paid
by the franchisee.
4. Final site selection to be approved by Doner Kebab
5. 1 week pre-launch training in the franchisee territory for the first store will be provided by
Doner Kebab operations personnel.
6. One week post-Launch support including soft opening and launch event, on the job training
and store monitoring for the first store.
7. Technical support in relation to customized store designs and layouts and provision of a full
set of customized store designs and layouts, building material sample charts and Provision
of site development plans.
8. Supply of lists and specifications of equipment, furniture, fixtures and fittings.
9. Supply and customization of software programs such as POS, accounting, reporting and
others. To be paid for by the franchisee additional to the franchise fee.
10. Doner Kebab to provide advice and guidance in relation to launch marketing program and
customized design and artwork.
11. Doner Kebab to provide franchisee with content and website architecture for localized
What support is available on an ongoing basis?
1. On-going provision of management, operational, technical advice and guidance through
telephone or electronic communication, Intranet and video conferencing
2. Advice and guidance in relation to annual marketing programs and local store marketing.
3. On-going site visits to franchised territory as mutually agreed.
4. Periodical review of financial auditing and production of updated business plans. Franchisee
to provide monthly audit summary.
5. On-going Product/Service Mix Analysis & Evaluation based on historical sales.
6. On-going franchisor’s website support including maintenance of sub-pages and intranet.
7. On-going supply of proprietary products at franchisee expense.
8. On-going update of operations manual as and when deemed necessary.
9. On-going market research and introduction of new products, promotions and marketing
10. Support in relation to Piloting franchisees’ ideas on new products and services in the
What are the marketing methods used to gain new customers?
Expanding new outlets in new markets , Social Media, Networking and Word of Mouth!
Many thanks for your time, it was a pleasure speaking to you.
Farshad Abbaszadeh Doner Kebab Franchise Middle East Food Franchise Business Opportunity